Pages

12.13.2012

Do You Hear What I Hear...

I've made no effort to hide my love for the Christmas season; in fact, I even love holiday music, the highly polarizing songs that are loathed by many, especially anyone who has ever had a retail job between October and January. However, I am picky; I have a definitive playlist of songs that I like the most, and I do not tolerate covers or versions by other artists. It is heavily skewed toward the classics, with only a handful of songs from the 90s, and absolutely nothing more modern than that. You won't find any N'Sync, Brittney Spears, or, God forbid, Justin Bieber on my iPod come Christmas. 

You will find Adam Sandler's "The Chanukah Song," in a nod to my upbringing in Highland Park and all my Jewish friends who attend my annual cookie exchange. And because I am an unabashed Barry Manilow fan, he is well-represented as well.

My favorites are there, to be sure. "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" by Judy Garland will always be my all-time favorite holiday tune, and my sing-along favorites "Last Christmas" by Wham! and "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" by Darlene Love, are perfect for rocking out seasonally in the car. There's the seemingly incongruous pairing of holiday crooning giant, Bing Crosby and David Bowie for "Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy," as well as Bing's iconic "White Christmas." There's truly something for everyone, not just me.

As far as I am concerned, these are the only holiday songs you will ever need, so queue up this playlist, whip up a batch of apple cider, and get ready to channel your Christmas cheer:
  1. "Jingle Bell Rock" - Bobby Helms
  2. "Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree" - Brenda Lee
  3. "A Holly Jolly Christmas" - Burl Ives
  4. "Baby, It's Cold Outside" - Barry Manilow with K.T. Oslin
  5. "(There's No Place Like) Home for the Holidays" - The Carpenters
  6. "Winter Wonderland" - Johnny Mathis
  7. "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" - Judy Garland
  8. "All I Want for Christmas Is You" - Mariah Carey
  9. "Carol of the Bells" - Mormon Tabernacle Choir
  10. "The Christmas Song (Merry Christmas)" - Nat King Cole
  11. "Misletoe and Holly" - Frank Sinatra
  12. "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" - Darlene Love
  13. "The Chanukah Song" - Adam Sandler
  14. "Do You Hear What I Hear" - Perry Como
  15. "I'll Be Home For Christmas" - Doris Day
  16. "White Christmas" - Bing Crosby
  17. "Last Christmas" - Wham!
  18. "Sleigh Ride" - Johnny Mathis
  19. "Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!" - Doris Day
  20. "Happy X-Mas (War Is Over)" - John Lennon
  21. "Christmas Through Your Eyes" - Gloria Estefan
  22. "Because It's Christmas" - Barry Manilow
  23. "Peace On Earth/Little Drummer Boy" - Bing Crosby & David Bowie
  24. "Silver Bells" - Johnny Mathis
  25. "Christmas Eve (Sarajevo 12/24)" - Trans-Siberian Orchestra
  26. "The First Noel" - Frank Sinatra

No comments:

Post a Comment