Pages

6.10.2011

Oh, Fudge...

Ask and you shall receive. Earlier this week, I was sitting in the unwelcome swelter of my apartment, ruing the short in my air conditioning's computer circuitry that has rendered it useless, and has me impatiently awaiting the arrival of a new computer board to restore a comfortable level of temperature to my abode. While perusing the usual assortment of blogs and websites I frequent in the evening, I thought to myself, "Wow, I could totally go for a Fudgsicle right now," and lo, I clicked over to the Smitten Kitchen site and found myself face-to-screen with a mouthwatering photo of the same icy treat I had just been dreaming about. Clearly, this was a sign from the Internet gods that I was destined to make these fudgsicles. Since tonight was the first night I've been home alone in a while, I stopped by the store, picked up $1 worth of whole milk (the only ingredient I didn't have in the house), and I was on my way to frozen chocolate nirvana.

Though I shared the blogger's skepticism over the seemingly negligible amount of chocolate in the recipe, I decided to take a leap of faith and prepare the popsicles as written. It was the right move -- these fudgsicles are just as good, though in a different way, than my previous favorite summertime frozen treat on a stick. These are everything that a fudgsicle should be: fudgy and creamy, with an unctuous mouth-feel, while remaining light and refreshing. They definitely satisfied my craving, and I know I'll be making another batch before the summer is over.

As written, this recipe makes four popsicles, which was fine for testing purposes, but I think I'll be doubling it in the future just to have more on hand. I'm already looking forward to enjoying them on a balmy summer evening in the near future when the steamy weather is where it belongs -- outside.


Fudge Popsicles
Adapted from On a Stick!, via Smitten Kitchen

2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped semisweet chocolate
1/3 c. sugar
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 1/2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
1 1/4 c. whole milk
pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 tablespoon unsalted butter

In the bottom of a medium saucepan over very low heat, gently melt the chocolate chips/chopped chocolate, stirring constantly until smooth. Stir in sugar, corn starch, cocoa powder, milk and salt and raise heat to medium. Cook mixture, stirring frequently until it thickens and reaches a pudding-like consistency, 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat, add vanilla and butter, and stir until combined.

Set aside to let cool slightly, then pour into popsicle molds and freeze until solid.

No comments:

Post a Comment