Pages

12.16.2010

Christmas Time All Over The World...

So much of the holidays is about tradition, and the comforting repetion of time-honored rituals that draw people together based on their shared histories and experiences. Lately, however, I find that the same traditions that usually bring me so much joy around Christmas time have been feeling more like a burden. To be completely honest, I've simply not been feeling the Christmas spirit this year. I've been going through the motions, waiting for my usual sense of excitement to kick in, and I've managed to capture a glimmer here or there, but for the most part, I've just been faking it.


When it came time to head to the Christkindlmarket for Lisa and I's annual photo-op in front of the Daley Plaza tree, it was just another item on my seasonal to-do list. Tonight, after we dutifully captured a perfect image, Lisa confessed to me that she wasn't particularly in the mood to consume our usual German holiday treats, and I was secretly elated. I quickly suggested that we head to our favorite Chinese restaurant instead, and she readily accepted. In place of a traditional European Christmas, Lisa and I opted to celebrate the holiday in a way more in keeping with Jewish tradition -- by consuming Chinese food. It may have been an oddly international Christmas mash-up, but it felt right to us, and in the end, celebrating the season together is more important than how we choose to do it.

1 comment: