Pages

12.24.2009

Baby, Baby, It's A Wild World...

Today, Mom and I headed over to my cousin Aimee's house to watch her brand-new baby daughter, Mya, whilst her parents made a diaper run and completed other assorted pre-Christmas errands. Although I generally don't have the touch when it comes to babies (clearly, I am far, far, far away from being ready to have children of my own), Mya and I got along rather well this weekend, probably on account of Mya's impressive sleeping skills. She'll sleep through anything, as long as it's daytime and the adults in her life aren't trying to get any rest of their own. As a result, I spent a lot of time holding, napping with, and playing "baby paparazzi" with my littlest cousin. Here are the results of today's photo shoot:

Mya likes to lay with her legs crossed. Her parents keep mittens on her to protect her perfect complexion after she scratched her nose last week.

It's a rare thing to catch her with her eyes open, but there they are!

Someday, she will not appreciate that I captured this moment, but for now, I think it's pretty great.

More yawning. It's hard to be a newborn!

Smiley Mya.

It's a little scary for me to think about the fact that Aimee is the family member who is closest to me in age, and she already has a child. We used to play "house" together growing up, and now she has a real husband and baby of her own. Logically, I know that I'm still young, that I have plenty of time, and that everyone's life takes a different path, but it's times like this that I feel very much like I'm still a kid, playing a game called "life as a grown-up." I'm sure someday I will reflect fondly on these days before I had a husband, a family, and real responsibilites, but for now I feel like I'm still waiting for my "real" life to start. For the moment though, I'm still pretty content to be able to enjoy the cuteness of my cousins' children from afar. After all, when they aren't yours, you can always hand them back when there's a dirty diaper...

No comments:

Post a Comment