Pages

7.10.2009

Just peachy keen...

Every so often, you take a chance on a recipe, and it succeeds beyond your wildest dreams. That was how it went with the peach popsicles I made for my party last weekend. I had been fully prepared to make another one of my favorite frozen treats, Fuzzy Navel Sorbet, but I was flipping through my most recent edition of Gourmet and spotted a page of "adult" ice pops, and thought, "Huh, that would be fun and summery." So I borrowed some molds from Mom, and augmented with some from Target, and set to work. I made the peach recipe one day, and got to sample an ice cube-sized remnant of the mix while I was making the pineapple coconut ice pops the next day. I was astounded by how good they were! I wrote the recipe down in my cookbook that very same night, and it takes a pretty special recipe to be cookbook-worthy on the first attempt.

Although the pineapple coconut popsicles were more popular at the party, I was just fine with having lots of leftovers of the peach ones. If only my guests had known what they were missing! I'm hoarding mine for myself, so you need to go make your own...
Peaches and Cream Yogurt Popsicles
adapted from Gourmet, July 2009

3 ripe peaches or nectarines, about 1 lb., chopped
3/4 c. Greek-style yogurt (5 oz)
1/2 c. granulated sugar
1/3 c. water
2 1/2 T. peach schnapps
1/4 t. salt

Puree all ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into 8* popsicle molds. Freeze until firm, about 24 hours.

*Each mold should hold 1/3 cup of liquid.

2 comments:

  1. They look good, but why no recipe of the coconut pineapple? Did this use malibu rum? You're making me a crave a nice ice cold malibu & pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't think the coconut pineapple ones were remotely as good. Then again, I did leave out the rum that they called for, because I don't like rum. If you want, I could email it to you, but you'll have to hide them from the kiddies!

    ReplyDelete