Pages

7.04.2009

Happy 233rd Birthday America...

With all of the fireworks and festivities of the 3rd of July, there was not much left to do on the actual 4th of July but kick back and enjoy the day. For the first time in over two months, I got to sleep until I woke up naturally. I cannot properly convey how much I relished the chance to sleep in, and how much I needed it. 

Later, faced with a totally packed refrigerator, I invited my parents over to help with the leftovers from the night before. Somehow, I seem to be totally incapable of preparing a reasonable amount of food for my party guests. Without fail, I am inundated by leftovers. So they took me out to lunch, to give me some reprieve from eating the same food all weekend long, and we enjoyed some popsicles before I sent them home with a respectable care-package. 

I spent the evening engaged in my favorite 4th of July tradition: watching 1776. It used to be that you could find 1776 on television on the 4th of July, often on PBS. But in recent years, it seems to have dropped off the face of the earth. We used to have a family copy on VHS to remedy the situation, but it was one of the first casualties of the broken VCR that led to our purchase of a DVD player. I can still recall the heartbreak of watching the feet of tape spooling out of the front of the VCR. It was a sad day. Eventually, they finally released a DVD version of the film (albeit a far longer "director's cut), and it provided the soundtrack to my holiday.

The highlight of the evening, however, was the fireworks display that was visible from my southern window. As it turns out, even if I cannot see the official fireworks from my condo, I can see an entire evening's worth of illegal fireworks detonations on the city's south and southwest sides. I shudder to think of how crowded the local emergency rooms and fire crews must have been, based solely on the number of sirens I heard throughout the evening, but it certainly looked pretty outside. It was an exciting end to a pleasantly quiet day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment